Monday, March 4, 2019

The Leica Meter 2

A light meter is really useful with an old camera like the Leica IIIa. Leika made what they called the LEICAMETER. They had two universal meters that fit on the older Leicas and then they came out with the LEICAMETERS for the LEICA M Series cameras that actually coupled to the shutter-speed dials.
I ordered one on eBay knowing that it might not work but was hoping that it could be repaired. Unfortunately, it could not be repaired. I opened it up and it was very clean with no corrosion on the terminals. I even took the Selenium cell out. I wrote to the only person that I could find online that repairs old light meters. It is a place called
Quality Light Metric. He wrote back saying the cells are no longer available. There was a place in the UK that was cutting them, but they went out of business.
Here is what it looks like on the camera

The Leica Project - With Leicameter 2
The Leica Project - With Leicameter 2
Here is what it looks like apart.
Leicameter 2 - The Leica Project
I have read that a calculator solar cell might work in the place of the selenium cell. A project for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment